Friday, August 7, 2009

self-admitted embroidery fail

{post courtesy Jonah Lisa at The Toby Show}

I've decided to share one of my holiday crafting failures with you. I wanted to make a nice set of embroidered handkerchiefs for my mom and sister. Green, handmade, useful, personal--this gift idea had it all.

Did I know how to embroider? No. Did I let that stop me? No. I have at least 3 books on the subject after all. In my mind, I imaged something like this:


Well, embroidery turns out to be a little harder than sewing a felt apple or stitching up a bag full of beans.

Here are my sad little hankies...

Not horrible maybe, but let's be honest, they look like something sweet your 8 year old made at Brownies. I think my sunflower is particularly special. The turtle holds no special significance, it's just a shape I thought I could muster. Huck said it was a Brachiosaurus.

Not quite the really nice set I was aiming for so I supplemented with a different main gift for each of them and gave the hankies as an extra side gift.

Oh well, they're for wiping snot anyway
.

8 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure that that A was made by an embroidery machine and then put in a hoop because the person who made it is a LIAR!!!! Your snot wipes are cute. My embroidery is much scarier. I leave it to machines now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sunflower? I thought it was some sort of pagan symbol. Nice try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone Fails now and then, just gotta try again. Besides that first picture was made on a embroidery machine!! If it was so easy, there wouldn't be machines to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you posted your embroidery! I like the crescent moon, and all of them together are sweet! I would love getting something like that from one of my daughters, and they are both way past eight!
    Awesome blog, by the way!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the same way when I first started! I thought I'd start out small with a wall-sized hanging, and then realized it takes a week to finish a napkin :)
    They look good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JL! So glad you submitted this! It's throwing me off to see you on a different blog though...it's like running into your high school math teacher at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't even thought about touching embroidery yet! I'm still working on how to hem a pant leg:-( Don't get me started with what to do when there's a lining involved. . . Thanks for sharing the sniffle rags, though.

    ReplyDelete